Sega has announced the Micro Game Gear to celebrate their 60th anniversary. This is a miniaturized version of the “Game Gear” portable game console that was released back in October 6, 1990, 30 years ago.
Here are some details:
- It operates with 2 AAA batteries (it can also be powered via USB).
- 80 mm in width, 43 mm in height, and 20 mm in depth, which is less than 40% of the original game gear. It will weight less than 40 grams (will be around 60 grams with 2 AAA batteries).
- Sega estimate around 3 hours playtime, and the power cable and AC adapter for Mega Drive Mini will be useable too.
- They plan to have 4 saves slot for each title.
- Software is handle by the same staff as M2’s Mega Drive Mini and the hardware design is by the staff who were involved in the original game gear .
The Micro Gear Gear will come in 4 colours and each colour with have different games, SEGA will release a pack with all 4 colours. If you get all 4 colours you can claim the bonus “Sega Big Window” which attaches to your Micro Game Gear and magnifies the screen.
Game Gear Micro Black
- Sonic the hedgehog
- Puyo Puyo Tsu
- Royal Stone -Opening Door-
Game Gear Micro Red
- Megami Tensei Gaiden Last Bible
- Megami Tensei Gaiden Last Bible Special
- The GG Shinobi
Game Gear Micro Blue
- Sonic & Tales
- Gunstar Heroes
- Sylvan Tale
- Bakubaku Animal
Game Gear Micro Yellow
- Shining Force Gaiden Expedition: To the Land of Evil Gods
- Shining Force Gaiden II ~Awakening of the Evil God~
- Shining Force Gaiden Final Conflict
- Nazopuyo Aruru’s Lou
It’s scheduled to launch in Japan on October 6, for ¥4980 (not including tax) for each colour or alternatively the 4 pack with all 16 games for ¥29,980 (not including tax). No word yet on the english/international release or what games that will include.
Here’s the Japanese promotional/announcement trailer.